Monday, February 11, 2008

February Down Range

Hello Everyone...Please bare with me as I try to begin what hopefully is a more productive way to communicate with everyone as it has been difficult to talk to everyone through email. It actually seems like I just arrived here a few weeks ago when I have been here well over 2 months meaning approx 16% of my tour is already complete. Many things have transpired while I have been here, but one of the highlights was being promoted to Chief Warrant Officer 2 on January 15th. The pic above is from the ceremony. I had the opportunity to invite one of my very good friends LTC Bob Merkel to fly down from another post and pin me my new rank. Bob is the epitome of what a true officer and leader should be and is great mentor and friend. When I was a young SGT he took me under his wing and took the time to show me what RIGHT looked like and challenged me to always strive for greatness. In addition to Bob being there, there were countless other friends and co-workers there to shake my hand and officially call me "Chief". Among my peers were my Soldiers who are the real reason I love the Army like I do. The ceremony was quick as I had requested it to be so we could immediately go back to work upon its conclusion. I am on my fourth deployment and there have been so many changes as time has passed. We are now living in trailers that are known as a CHU (Containerized Housing Unit). This military term or acronym is just one that I will familiarlize you with during my time here. I have a great friend as a roommate. The space may be small (10' x 5') but we make the most of the space. Jordan and I are both certified workaholics so most of our time is spent away from the CHU as it is used mostly just to sleep. The food is excellant, but it does not come close to Giata night at the Burns house....Overall things are going very well here as we continue to adjust to our ever changing environment. With that please take care and God Bless you all.

MIKE

No comments: