Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Hawaiian Word of the Week

Haole; pronounced: How-lee--definition: originally foreigner, now means Caucasian

So, I am a haole. If you are white and live in Hawaii, you basically just have to come to grips with this label. It sounds kinda derrogatory, i know, but in most instances it is more of a statement of fact than an insult or racial slur. I am sure if I were to walk down the wrong street or be in the wrong place at the wrong time, someone could call me a haole and mean me harm--but as of my almost 2 years here in HI, I have yet to have that happen.

In church, more so when we first started attending, we and a few other young, white military couples were known as the "haoles". It even went so far that our pastor used us in a demonstration where he pulled 5 "haole" ladies up to the stage and had us try a famous Japanese food, Natto, made from fermented soybeans. It was disgusting, none of us new what we got ourselves into. Needless to say my gag reflex is working as great as ever and everyone in church got to see it.

At work in the schools, I am commonly known as the "haole teacher". One of the first times I subbed, another teacher quickly walked into my room expecting to find the lady i was subbing for, and instead instinctivly said, "oh, your the new haole sub". I was like, "uh, yeah I guess so". I think she may have been a bit embarassed--but it really is just second nature to everyone around here. Also, at school, the teachers refer often to my blond hair and blue eyes...neither of which are very accurate. But to them, we haole's all look alike. Funny considering, before moving here I felt the exact way about the Asian population.

My last example, comes from a friend of mine--a local here in HI. She was talking to me about a date she had went on the past weekend. When I asked how it was, she told me that it was just ok--that there weren't any sparks. I asked what was wrong with him and she replied that he was too "haole". My response was something like, jaw to the ground, "uh i am a haole!" Even though she quickly apoligized and laughingly and said, "jess you know what I mean" and i told her i wasn't sure that i did and put on my best pouty face. She then tried to elaborate and said he was too country, which of course my southern roots did also take offense--but i decided just to let her off the hook.

The fact is Hawaii is a serious melting pot of races and every race and raical mix has a name around here. We all have to use the terminology just to identify whoever we are talking about. So what, I am a haole, here me roar (or even better, here me drawl).

No comments: