Saturday, May 17, 2008

Things I miss from home...

Living in HI definitely has it perks, but going home really reminds of me of some things that I miss--some that i am constantly aware of and others are very subtle and only after i have experienced them again do i realize i have even missed them at all.

For starters, its the food. And this is a big one--one I am constantly aware of. I miss good fast food, like chick-fil-a. I miss Bo's cajun fried chicken biscuits for breakfast. I miss being able to order sweet tea whenever i want it. I miss really good, cheap mexican food where the queso dip is white like it should be. I miss Olive Garden--everything about it....the salad, breadsticks, steak gorgonzola alfredo, stuffed chicken marsala, etc. I miss deli's. There is nothing like being out running errands and shopping and being able to stop at a Bear Rock or Panera Bread, or any other deli for that matter and eat a good quality sandwich. There is only so much Subway a girl can take. I miss Sir Pizza, ham and onion or on occasion ham and pineapple, no cheese, extra sauce and ranch dressing. I miss cobblers, pies and cakes that aren't made out of tropical fruits, coconuts, and stuffed with beans and mochi. I miss eastern NC barbecue, home cooked meat loaf, mashed potatoes and green beans, and I miss Rock-Ola Southwest Pasta. Obviously, i can not fulfill all cravings when I go home or else I would have to purchase two airline tickets just to get back home...but it is still fun trying!


I miss always seeing someone you know when you walk into a public place.


I miss how great a hot shower feels after waking up freezing cold.


I miss the birds singing outside my window in the morning.


I miss backyards and frontyards and driveways and houses with more than 4 rooms.


I miss friendly, southern-talkin people.


I miss being able to drive over 55 mph.


I miss Target, Walmarts with groceries, Bed Bath and Beyond, Belks, Express, and the Dollar Store.


I miss dressing up for church and listening to the choir.


I miss thunderstorms.


I miss gardens and eating fresh vegetables anytime I want.


I miss fried okra (i guess that should have gone under the food category).


I miss how running to the corner store would only take 10 minutes instead of 2 hours.


I miss the occasional cold and rainy day where that was enough excuse to spend the day inside reading and watching movies.


I miss seeing animals outside--horses, cows, deer, squirrels, etc.


I miss driving for hours on backwoods country roads, losing yourself to the music and the simple beauty of the land.


And of course it goes without saying i miss all my loved ones...but this blog is for things, not people. And all ya'll should know I miss you the most!


2 comments:

Kimberly and Jordan said...

loves the blog! By the way I had a Chick-Fil-A Biscuit this morning and tea...hehehehe:)

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you this story because i laughed really hard when i read your blog. Our really good friends got married in Maui last summer and they have been dieing to go back. The same friends also own the building kev and i live in and the Deli downstairs (called the Alden Village Market). She told me yesterday as a joke that when we are all rich she wants to move to Maui and open the Maui Village Market! so that would solve your deli problem, even though its kinda still far for you! I just thought it was funny... hope all is well with you!