Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Missing Fall



It's supposedly Fall. I can tell here because it is getting darker earlier. But that is where it ends.

We've been 6 years now without being around fall weather. The first 3 years i barely noticed--but these last 3 have been more difficult. Good News is...next year, we will be back in Carolina and i have LOTS of plans.

It will go something like this:

1. Wear long-sleeve shirts, and jeans and boots and scarves and whatever else is in style without sweating the whole time (which is what happens now because i REALLY want to wear the fall clothes, and they are sold in the stores with the nice, cool A/C that convinces me that I will be fine and then i go outside in my new cute fall outfit and think to myself..."self, what the heck were you thinking"????

2. Go to the State Fair. The State Fair here is a serious joke. Really. North Carolina state fair, oh how we miss you and all of your crazy fried foods, smelly livestock, turkey shoots, country concerts and fun rides. We WILL be there next year.

3. Cornhusing. Just the most awesome Meredith tradition EVER that I have been itching to go back and watch ever since I graduated 6 years ago. I want to sit on the hard brick steps in the freezing cold weather, wrapped in blankets and huddled up with my friends, watching silly skits and singing crazy made-up songs. Yeah. I know. Sounds so good you want to come to. ;)

4. Throwing the kids a ROCKING Birthday Party where our family can ACTUALLY attend. Yep, as Mike and I are trying to plan the kiddos 2nd Birthday, it kind of looses it excitement when you realize there isn't really anyone to invite to it. So go ahead and mark your calendars. NOV 30, 2012--it's.gonna.be.AWESOME!

5. Thanksgiving. Another event that is traditionally defined by the people you spend it with. I'm ready to spend it with family--although i'm thankful to have had wonderful people to celebrate with the past 6 years, it's time to do it at home and show the kiddos what Thanksgiving is really all about.

6. LEAVES. I know it's beautiful here almost everyday. But it's also the same here everyday. A trip to the mountains while the leaves are changing is already being planned in our heads. The oranges and red leaves against the bright blue sky is one of the most beautiful sights ever. and we miss it. I also can't wait to go outside in our backyard (because YES we WILL have one), rake leaves into a huge pile and jump and rolls and crawl all in them with the kids. That is going to be an awesome day.

7. Food. Fall food is yummy. and no matter how much i try, soups and stews and pumpkins and squash and baked apples and pies never taste as good when its 85 degrees outside. its a fact. although i did make a fabulous beef stew tonight from a new recipe-- but while eating it tonight we were already looking forward to next year when i can make it on a cool fall day. I'm convinced it will taste even better.

8. Halloween. When picking out costumes here the biggest concern is whether or not you will melt while wearing it. Halloween is meant for cool weather. and running through corn mazes while being chased with chainsaws is ridiculous if you are wearing shorts and flipflops. can i get an amen?

9. Pumpkins.rot.in.hot.weather. and bugs infest them quicker than water can boil on my stove. I've resorted to wooden pumpkins with lights in them. while the pumpkins are cute (thanks anne!) it's really quite sad to throw out your pumpkin and all of your hard work the morning after you carve it.

10. Fires. Whether it's in a fireplace or a campfire...the smell of a fire and the heat on your face is pretty awesome. and again, fire totally looses its luster in the hot weather--and it can be quite dangerous when you singe your arm/leg hairs while trying to cook a s'more.


one more year....one more year...one more year....

1 comment:

Thumbs Up? Thumbs Down? said...

1 through 10 - I'm right there with you! Funny you should talk about fire. You know how I like a fire (and your Dad doesn't like the smell), well I have been mulling over a firepit. I can imagine some little snd big folks enjoying it and marshmallows and smores and HOTDOGS! I gotta work on PopPop!