Wednesday, March 5, 2008

March Down Range

The month of February has sped by incredibly fast here in Iraq as we get a little more settled in and used to the daily redundancy that a deployment creates. Although I do not care for the “Groundhogs Day Effect” for reasons I am sure you all can understand, looking on the optimistic side of things, I am still luckier than most. Highlights are few and far between to come by out here so I here goes my schedule on any given day. The alarm usually decides it must go off at 0400, only because my roommate Jordan sets it so we can go to the gym. I admit I am a morning person, but getting out of the rack at that time to throw weights around is not what I consider fun. Thank goodness for IPOD’s and Scope! The gyms here are really nice in comparison to what I have had in the past. There are all types of equipment, free weights, and cardio equipment which gives everyone the opportunity to stay in shape during their tour. After a good workout it is time for a shower and little something to eat. We always go to what they call the CSM Cooke DFAC (Dining Facility) which is the closet to our CHU (Containerized Housing Unit). The military makes acronyms for everything….I promise I will devote one whole BLOG to just acronyms very soon. Now getting back to having breakfast there is a multitude of choices to choose from on a daily basis. In fact you might even say that I am getting spoiled when the hardest decision I have to make is between the fresh fruit or fresh omelets but who’s askin! The coffee could be better, but they have to make it such abundance that they just never can get it right unless you creamer it to death. After breakfast it is time for my daily devotional and then off to work. This is a 2 mile walk so I usually make it there after about 25 minutes. My work schedule differs everyday but generally I do not get out of the ammo before 1900, and then it is time for the nightly meeting. I might as well be asleep during this meeting but my 15 second piece is just too mission essential…sarcasm? After I grab a bite to eat, it is time to go back to the gym and call it a night….Usually we have a season of something to watch like 24 or Sopranos, but here lately there just hasn’t been any time.


Our room is far more comfortable that any I have ever had before while being deployed. Usually I have been in a tent, so these trailers are a major upgrade. The heat and AC work great although the real test for that will be later this summer when 125 degrees roll around. I guarantee I won't be leaving any doors or windows open! The CHU’s are well protected by the concrete overhead, and the sandbags around from any rounds that may find themselves in our area. I have been receiving plenty of letters and cards from home and I try and place most of them on my wall. Please keep them coming as they are appreciated.



All of you wishing to email me my email problems and access issues have been resolved, so please email me at any time to michael.burns6@us.army.mil.

2 comments:

Kimberly and Jordan said...

Hey Mike!!!!

Anonymous said...

miss you mike. glad things are well for you. love you

mandy