Thursday, April 15, 2010

Mommyism

Can I please be allowed a minute of your time to be an "irrational and over-emotional" mother?

Thanks.

Okay. My babies are growing. Which is great and normal and all the things we mothers want for our kids. Except for the fact that as I am cleaning out their closet of newborn clothes and replacing it with the 6 month clothing I find myself super sad, contemplating about the day when my babies will no longer want to be hugged and kissed and held anymore--at least not by me. That kinda breaks my heart. Or at least makes me consider just for a second locking them up in their rooms for the rest of their lives so they can't leave me. Just kidding. (i guess)

And also, no matter how little of storage room we have in the house, in no way am i emotionally ready to rid of these clothes (at least the cutest ones). There are memories attached to them. Like what they wore on their first Christmas and that onesie that made Holden's blue eyes pop. Thankfully i have a smart husband who has chosen to "NOT" fight this battle with me. Instead he offered up a place in the house that i can put these "too little" but still very meaningful clothes. Good job Mike.

Ok, that's all. I appreciate your time. I also appreciate your sensitivity in my quite-possibly unreasonable thinking.

2 comments:

Lucky Girl said...

you are of course allowed that minute!! and don't worry, it will be years before they don't want the hugs and the kisses!! ;-)
about the clothes, i was the same with my daughter. i saved all her clothes from birth to 1 year, saved a few of my very favourites, then cut up the rest and made a really lovely square patch quilt with the clothes, and used her old swaddling blankets to back it. it was really easy and beautiful and holds all of the memories.
i am starting on her second quilt now with all of her 2nd year clothes.
maybe you could try that?

Jill said...

I am going through the same thing with my twin boys. I will be snuggling with them and just start crying that they won't be this little forever. And going through their clothes.... oh my it's hard. They will be going into 3-6 mos soon. I just want them to stay just like they are!!