Friday, November 12, 2010

What Every Mommy Needs to Know!

The babies just turned 11 months old, i'd like to deviate from the usual update blog (since i was so stinking late on the 10 month one!) and instead write about what 11 months of being a mommy (and my 7.5 months of pregnancy) has taught me.

SO, Here is a list of things that have made my life easier and i don't think any mommy should EVER live without.

Number 1: Pregnancy Body Pillow

Trust me here. Don't try and make do with multiple pillows, or even a regular body pillow. This special contoured pillow saved my sanity. I tried a few other options hoping not to spend the money on this pillow, but in the end if I would have just bought the "real deal" the first time around i would have saved myself some money and some painful, sleepless nights. Mike may tell you something slightly different as he was a little...ehhem, jealous, of the pillow as i preferred to cuddle with it than him...but your husband will much prefer a pillow barrier than an irritable, cranky wife who hasn't slept in weeks, i promise.


Number 2: The Woombie

If you don't know about this, check it out. http://www.thewoombie.com/ Forget all those swaddle blankets with velcro, or even worse the ones with no kind of fastener..if you're baby needs to be swaddled BUY THIS NOW! This is another item I waited to buy until later on, only after we had exhausted other cheaper but less effective options. Granted, I am pretty sure Mike and I are the best swaddlers in the world, but oh the time and headaches that could have been saved by this miracle woombie and it's oh so easy zipper closure. It also still allows the baby to move around and stretch, unlike other swaddle blankets. It's definitely the way to go. Go ahead and buy an extra too. Once you become dependant on it, and you most certainly will, you will be LOST while the dirty one is in the wash.

Number 3: Crib Soother

Our personal favorite is the Baby Einstein Neptune Soother . On those nights in the beginning where the babies didn't agree with us on when it was time to sleep, this was our lifesaver. Nora was mesmerized by this thing. The ocean/nature sounds are very soothing instead of irritating as some can be and the sounds and lights both gradually soften to help put baby to sleep. I also like it now because the babies can turn it on themselves... it is a good source of entertainment for them when the first wake up in the mornings, and it gives me some extra sleep time! I'll be honest--it eats up batteries worse than anything else we have, but it's worth it.


Number 4: Electric Double Breast Pump

I know they are expensive, but especially if you are a working mom, or a busy mom of multiples a good pump will save you precious time. Breastfeeding is a job all on its own--a mother who chooses to do this has to make sacrifices in order to make it work, electric pumps can really help ease the job. A better quality pump is much more efficient at how much milk you can get per session. Storing milk is how you get out of the house and get to take a break. Breaks are important. Time is important. Good Pumps are important. Trust Me.


Number 5: Keith and Kristyn Getty, In Christ Alone--CD

Check iy out here. This i can not swear by, since to my knowledge it has only been tested out on my own kids, but this CD was a Miracle Worker. It was given to me in a box of other things for the babies by my Aunt Diane. I believe it was actually meant for me, but it happened to be one of the best baby gifts i received. If any of you remember, Holden cried non-stop in the car until he was about 5 months old. This CD would stop him in mid-scream. I found that if i started with Track 2, which had a strong repetitive beat, it would instantly calm him down and by the end of track 4 he would be asleep. Even after the horrible months of car screaming finally ended, up until about 9 months it still worked like magic--instantly putting the babies to sleep. Now, we just don't need it. The crying is next to nil in the car, thank goodness. And although i did enjoy the CD, i'll be honest, after a zillion times of hearing it, if i never hear it again that will be fine with me!


Number 6: a good baby carrier

i've already devoted a blog to just this...so i won't go into it again. You can read it here if you want more info, but i am a HUGE advocate of baby wearing. There are good and bad carriers out there...just like with anything else you buy, you want to make sure you are getting a quality product. They received some bad press a few months ago because of misuse or unsafe brands--but a good quality carrier is a wonderful thing for both baby and parent. Having the baby close while being hands free is priceless. If I had just one baby, I would use carriers more than I do. A stroller is simply a necessary part of my life with 2 babies, but still i whip a carrier out when i can and love the individual time i can spend with my little ones while they are in them.

Number 7: Bathtub Knee Pad

As much time as us parents spend giving baths...give your knees a break and get a pad! I LOVE this thing. It's also easy to clean: just throw in the washing machine and voila! Sometimes it's the simple things that make our life easier.


Number 8: Jumparoo

We have this version, although there are many to choose from. Thankfully this was a hand-me-down from our friends the Brinkers, thanks! I much prefer jumparoos over exersaucers. Jumping is half the fun! This is one toy that i wish i had 2 of. Most baby equipment can be shared with twins, but our jumparoo was priceless. The babies still love it. Now that they are moving around i appreciate the containment factor. It was also great for keeping one baby entertained while i fed/bathed/attended to the other. The best thing about these are they always seem to be in abundance on craigslist...so don't buy one full price!


Number 9: Easy Clean-Up Bibs

and with a "trough" please! Why oh Why do they even sell cloth bibs anymore? They stain so bad and if you don't get them to the wash immediately they can even grow mold! I LOVE my easy wipe bibs. I have a set that stays in the diaper bag and a set that stays in the kitchen. Just rinse and hang to dry and they are ready for the next feeding time. The ones i keep in my diaper bag are my favorites. They roll up compactly, are sturdy and great at catching messes when we don't always have a table or high-chair to feed them at and best of all a wipe can clean it right up!

Number 10: Space Saver High Chairs

In my itty bitty house, space is a constant issue! Thank goodness for these great highchairs. They have been a life saver! I especially like this brand with its high back/headrest because you can start using it as soon as babies start eating solids, and it will last until they don't need a seat at all. They are also a breeze to clean, and who doesn't love that?


All of these things are just that, THINGS. So i'd like to leave you with one more that is not-so-tangible, but oh-so-essential to keeping your sanity as a new mother.

Number 11: Do Something for Yourself EVERY DAY

Babies are wonderful, i'm sure i'll do a post soon that expresses all the wonderful ways my two sillies have made my life awesome...but they also are hard work. They can suck the life right out of you some days as you give ALL of yourself to care and meet ALL of their needs. I have found though that if I just do something that i want to do each day it makes everything else easier. Sometimes it's small because i just can't get away--like read a good book, cook something yummy that i love, take a nap, shave my legs, call a good friend, take a walk listening to whatever music i love as loudly as i can, go get a coke icee... If i'm able to get away, i like to go get a pedicure, sit at Starbucks with a yummy drink and read/people watch, go shopping for clothes with the pleasure of no little ones crying while i try stuff on. These things make me happy... and when i am happy, i'm a better mother. So mom's, find your way of recharging and do it, the floors, the laundry, etc...it can wait. I bet you'll find you can be more productive if you actually take some time to yourself too. Remember : You gotta re-charge.

3 comments:

Thumbs Up? Thumbs Down? said...

Jess you write so beautifully. You should consider writing something to publish. Your material flows and makes the reader want more at the end. And last but not least, you are a fantastic MOM!
Love you,
Anne

Eric, Jenn, Carrie, and Emily said...

Thanks for the reminder to recharge. It's so hard to do, but you really have to do it. Love you!
Jenn

Kimberly and Jordan said...

Good to know friend. You've given me lots of good advice already. Finally got some 'me' time today. I miss Jordan this one evening...I have mucho mucho respect for you even more now.