Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Mommy's Right of Passage

I've been meaning to post the past few days, but really there hasn't been too much going on. After our busy weekend we've been taking it easy this week. Actually, Sunday the babies started coming down with a cold...again. It seems we can't go 2 weeks without picking up some sickness somewhere. Then on top of whatever viral junk they picked up, Nora developed an ear infection, so we did get to make a fun outing to Tripler AMC. Yay. It's my favorite place. NOT. Anyway, it's been a lot of snot, coughing, snot, crying, snot, clinging, and did i mention snot?

But that's not exactly what I've decided to tell you about today, it's actually something even more gross. BARF. Yeah that's right, sorry Mom and anyone else who'd rather not read about this. BUT, I might as well document this first in my life, I mean I document everything else on here.

So yesterday the babies were taking a longer than usual nap and admittedly, so was I. So I woke up at 5:45 to Nora crying, was a bit disoriented by my WAY TOO LONG nap, and stumbled into the nursery. What I first noticed was a funny smell...if i am honest, it reminded me of Cheetos. Anyway, i ignored it for the second went over to Holden's crib first to get him and then went to get Nora. It was almost dark outside and therefore pretty dark in the room, but it was obvious something was all over her face...I turned on the lamp to find BARF. EVERYWHERE.

Here's my back story. I can handle some things. Blood. Poop. Snot. Whatever. But Not Vomit. Ever. I'm the sorry friend who can't do more than stick a rag through the bathroom door all while holding her breath for her poor sick college roommate. I'm also the wife who had to get her deathly sick husband to clean up his own mess while I walked outside and got myself together. I know, don't think bad of me. It's not my best quality.

So, this is the one thing that I have been terrified of having to deal with as a Mother especially since my husband, my partner, my babies Daddy, isn't able to be around the majority of the time. It was inevitable that I would have to face this fear at some point, alone.

So, what did I do you ask? Clean It Up of course. So what if i was holding my breath and grabbed a wad of baby wipes so i wouldn't have to directly touch much of it...still, i got my baby out of that crib, took off her clothes, gave her a bath, took the sheet off the bed, got it in the wash, wiped off the crib rails all the while keeping my other sweet baby happy and entertained in the hallway with some toys. No Gagging. No Freaking Out.

Not to toot my own horn, but I deserve a cookie. This is a milestone that should go down on my 1st year as a Mommy calendar, as if i actually had time to do one of those!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey sweetheart...your husband is ultra proud of you and your new found ability to handle things like this with me away. The kids and me are some lucky folks! Love Ya!

Anonymous said...

Is't it funny how kids change you! I was the same way but the boys changed that.

Megan Tetter said...

Well i believe congrats are in order since you survived this experience! And don't worry, your other awesome qualities make up for your defective here-is-your-washcloth-but-i-can't-help-you-because-then-i-will-throw-up roommate characteristic :)

Allison said...

Hey Jessie! Is Nora on antibiotics for her ear infection? Omnicef or the generic version? It made Olivia puke a few weeks ago when I gave it to her after she ate. She's been on it for ear infections several times. That was my first experience of vomiting with her. She threw up all over me and the couch. We have just been giving her the meds about 2 hours before she eats dinner.