Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Adjusting Second Time Around


I am so pleased to say that adjusting this time to a new baby in the house has been a much better experience.  I still cringe when i think about the first few weeks with Davis.  Here's the link to that blog post if you wanna read it.  I'm sure there are lots of reasons that things are better this time-- age of the twins, Davis having a different personality, we've been settled into our home for a few years, and i'm feeling better this time around which in turn reflects on the kids... but whatever the reasons, we are SO THANKFUL for how well everything is going.  

We've obviously been spending a lot of time together at home just the six of us --it's been slow and sweet.  I've really loved this past few weeks watching my kids all bond with each other, watching how they each in their own way show care and concern for Macky and then having Mike in the home so much.  Everyone is getting lots of attention and lots of love.  It's been good, real good. 

Nora has taken a huge interest in her baby brother.  She loves to hold him and help me care for him.  She's very good with Macky.  He's like a real live baby doll to her :) 

Holden isn't as interested as Nora, but he is kind to Macky--always hugs and kisses him and always willing to help out if i need it.  Occasionally he'll want to hold him or talk with him, but really i don't think Macky's entrance into this world has changed much for Holden. 

Davis is taking to his new baby brother very well.  I was most concerned with him obviously because he wouldn't be the 'baby' any longer.  Really he doesn't show any signs yet of jealousy or frustration. He gets really concerned when Macky cries and thinks that a paci can always fix it. He asks where the baby is if he can't find him and has also asked to hold "it" a few times.   I think Davis has enough personality and spunk that he is gonna be seen and heard whether there's a new baby or not.  

I really can't ask for anything more than this.  

Mike goes back to work Monday and a new normal sets in.  Really i think the biggest adjustment to be made will be with me.  Taking on the role of full-time mommy of 4 littles everyday will take some getting used to.  I'll probably be late a lot in the beginning and figuring out logistics of going into public (like shopping cart issues and loading/unloading the car) with one more little will take some time -- i know this.  I think i'm more prepared for all of that this time and my plan is to just give myself a little slack and a lot of grace. 





No comments: