Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Operation PCS 2015 Phase 1: PACKOUT and GOOD BYES

It's late july now and we're just on the other side of this move but the past 2 months have been a whirlwind.  Although i've been pretty absent on this blog i have taken a lot of pictures to try and capture the past couple of months.  So here it is, how my family of 6 packed up our life, slept in lots of different beds, said our see ya laters to lots of people we love, moved 950 miles away, unpacked our lives again and pretty much made it through unscathed :) 

This was the beginning.  I went out for the morning to run some errands and came home to find packers at our house and they had already half-packed the garage.  

this was also the beginning of 4 days of napping in whatever room/spot we could get out of the way.  i really didn't expect any napping/downtime but the all the changes definitely took their emotional toll on Davis and he was more than ready for his nap each day. 

except on this day that he was so excited to be sleeping in brother's bed that when i stepped out of the room for a minute to check on Macky, Davis pulled the surfboard down on top of him.  That board has been hanging on the wall for 3 years with no issues.  Davis is in there for 10 minutes and manages to get it off the wall. It sounded like the roof caved in and his screams were pretty horrific for a minute as well but thankfully all was well, minus a broken fin that can easily be fixed. 
our life in boxes
of course we had to make other arrangements for Linus...
she wasn't too happy about the changes either! 
 a few sweet pictures of my boy who was a range of emotions from minute to minute


then the big truck came...
Davis, Macky and I were reduced to a corner of the room--it seemed we were in the way anywhere we tried to sit.  The twins were in school each day thankfully and Mike was supervising the movers (ie make sure our stuff was taken care of) 

when there are no tables a dresser makes the perfect breakfast spot
and where there are no chairs a car seat will suffice
and when there are no beds, we'll take a pillow and a blanket
these green inventory stickers were everywhere... apparently they even tried to pack up davis! 

it was a LONG day--from 0745 until 1730--
but all our stuff was loaded up and took up half that huge truck
and then it was time for the cleanup 

we sent the big 3 kids to A-Town for this job... a whole weekend of painting, repairing and cleaning to get ready for the walk-thru ...

this was that bright green room up above--sad to see it back to this and not my kids fun Hawaii Room

After moving out of our house we still had one week left in NC because of preschool graduation and nora's dance recital, so we stayed with some friends in our neighborhood. Thankfully they had 2 extra rooms for us, but they were also in the process of moving back to CA so they didn't have much furniture either.  Mattresses and sleeping bags it was for the next week!
and the change in houses and sleeping habits started to have its effect on this little one and we started having much more late night quality time ;)

The kids also had their graduation from Awana and we had to say goodbye to some of our church family.  

Mrs. Rachel was the twins Awana teacher the past 2 years and Mrs Barbie was the best nursery worker you could ever find-- Davis just loved her.

we also had to go downtown and say goodbye to our little city we'd been living in for the past 3 years as well as say "see you later" to the wonderful Mrs. Julie!

Goodbyes with the Lopez Family--so thankful for them letting us invade their house that last week! 
Davis loves Javi!   and the kids with Penelope
Lopez and Burns Teams 

We also had many more goodbyes with friends and family that week--some pictures i sadly lost from a corrupted memory card, other times we just forgot to take a picture at all.  Living in Fayetteville though was a good time for our family.  We met lots of people, many of whom will be lifelong friends, and we were lucky enough to be so close to our family.  This was definitely a hard place to leave, but since it's home we know we'll be back and that makes it all a bit easier.  

The hardest part was leaving our house.  It was just a rental and had plenty of things about it that drove me crazy, but the memories there are real.  I brought 2 babies home to that house, survived a deployment there, and had lots of friends in that house.  We lived a lot of life there.  Our house on Harbison Court will always hold a special place in my heart.

I debated on how to handle leaving the house with the kids, but we decided to take them back for one last walk through with it empty just so they could have some closure themselves.  Nora was the saddest.  She holds on to "things" like i do.  We let her be sad and cry it out and then i promised her we'd have a new fun house and make new great memories there too.  Then I asked her to trust me.  She's a sweet brave girl--she wiped her tears and said okay.  Nothing like the Army teaching a child how to handle change.  We may lack in some things more stable families have, but i know the lessons they are learning will help them be stronger and more resilient for the rest of their lives.  

The last picture on our front steps.  

No comments: