Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Welcome to the World!

Welcome to the World!


Nora Grayce Burns
3lbs 5 oz
Born November 30 at 7:52 am


Holden Reece Burns
5 lbs 15 oz
Born November 30 at 7:53 am


I want to first thank everyone again for all the kind words, calls and visits. We are all doing fine and just trying to adjust to this new life!
After spending about 5 days in the hospital because of my pre-eclampsia , the doctors decided it was best to induce labor because of my own health status. We opted to at least try the vaginal labor option although we knew there were many precautions because of the pre-E and twins… but after about 16 hours of trying, a C-Section was still needed for delivery.
The babies are doing very well despite everything. They were born at 34 weeks 6 days gestation and Nora was actually quite smaller than any of us anticipated. Although quite small, she is a trooper! There are no major concerns with her heath, she is only hooked up to an IV and under a warmer but she is breathing perfectly and able to eat on her own! Holden, although the larger one, was having difficulty with some breathing so they hooked him up to a CPAP –the helmet /elephant nose on his head to help him out. He wore this for about 36 hours and then last night they took him off of it---and so far so good! He is also hooked to a feeding tube at the moment to keep the air out of his tiny stomach, but hopefully it to will be taken out soon.
Because of their preemie status, they will most likely be living in the NICU for the next couple of weeks before we can bring them home –just to make sure they can thrive in our environment…ie, regulate their own temps, feed, gain weight, breathe well…etc. Although we wish we could take them right home with us, it may be a bit of a blessing in disguise as I am still not quite well. Besides the recovery from c-section—I am still trying to re-gain my strength from all the side effects of Pre-E. My swelling has not gone down yet making it very difficult to move and walk. Also the meds they had me on are working their way out of my body and I am still a bit sluggish because of it. Not to mention my body is just trying to adjust to not having 2 babies living in it anymore! I may be discharged in the next day, but we are planning to try and board at the hospital, at least until the end of the weekend, to be close to the babies and to help with my recovery. As of right now, my body isn’t ready to step up into the truck, much less make it up the stairs in our house to the bedroom. The babies are being very well taken care of in the NICU. The staff is wonderful and we are able to visit at any time. Hopefully I will be back to my old self in time for them to come home so I can give them all the care and love they need!
Daddy Mike is doing okay too. He is very, very worn out trying to take care of everything I need, spend time with the babies and then take care of anything else needed too. He is wonderful though and I am so lucky to have a husband like him to depend on. And…our babies are lucky to have him too! It melts my heart to watch him hold and talk to our little ones.
Our inet access is limited until we get home for good, so please be patient. But I will leave you with some pics . Hope everyone is doing well!
























9 comments:

Anonymous said...

babies are absolutely gorgeous!!!! we're so proud of you guys!!! it couldn't have happened to two more deserving people!! we love you and send more pics soon!!!!

Megan Tetter said...

oh they are so beautiful!!!!! Take care of yourself Jes. LOVE YOU

Anonymous said...

Your babies are beautiful and you look great. The swelling will go down in time...be patient, though it's easier said than done. The mag will work out of your system and you'll feel 100% better once it does. I've been where you are with the nasty pre-e stuff (mag and all) and it's rough, but it'll get better. We're praying for you. Remember to drink lots of water as it'll help with your swelling. Love you guys!-Jennifer, Eric, Carrie and Emily

Dana said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you and your new family. You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kimberly and Jordan said...

Okay, normally I think newborns are ugly...but these kiddos are super cute!

heatha said...

Oh my gosh, I can't stop looking at your pics! I love y'all so much! :) I'm so excited about the beautiful little ones. I know y'all are worn out, so get some rest, loves! I miss you tons!

Richard, Sarah, Lily and Annabelle said...

What a beautiful family!! Jessi, I am so happy for you and Mike (and I'm sure Richard will be once I share the pics!) So excited for you guys - hope you get the rest you need - enjoy those babies!!!

Allison said...

Congratulations! Nora & Holden are beautiful. And they already have more hair than Olivia has now at 13 months! Trust me, you will appreciate these extra few days/weeks to recover yourself. It took me much longer than I ever expected to get back to my old self. Take care of yourselves first so you can take care of those adorable munchkins!! Love you guys!

Bart, Allison & Olivia

Yam said...

Congratulations! So excited for ya'll! Take care!