Tuesday, March 2, 2010

3 Months Old!




This month really slipped up on me. With there not being a 30th in February their 3 month birthday kinda slipped my mind, that is until I saw it on my facebook profile page…I know, I know… I’ll say it for you--”Way to go mom”. So anyway here’s the twins 3 month update. Enjoy.


~Nora Grayce Burns~

There is no doctor’s appointment for this month so I don’t have actual weights and lengths for you, but I can make a guesstimate and we can see how close I am after we go in for our 4 month appt. Nora is definitely gaining weight, very steadily I think, but she still on the small side for her age. My guess is she is around 9.5 lbs. Where I notice a big change though is in her length. Her clothes are beginning to get too short, most all her long pants are capris now and her onesies are pulling and although her newborn dresses still fit her best, they look more like shirts now than dresses. Good thing she has cute diapers to show off!

This month she added an ounce to her feeding. She is now eating 4 oz at a time—still every 3-4 hours during the day and then much longer durations at night. Night routines are falling into place. Between 8-9pm seems to be the ideal time to put them down and we it is no surprise to get between 7-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep, although we do still have some nights where 5 hrs is the longest stretch we get—I’ve found it really all depends on how much she slept and ate during the day as to how good she will sleep at night.

I am still following the rule, that the babies should go no longer than 2 hrs at a time awake. Really though, its rare that Nora can stand even that long. She still gets cranky fast and needs to be swaddled and rest. This definitely does put a damper on going anywhere during the day, but I’m dealing with it because I’d much rather have a happy baby at home than a cranky baby out somewhere.

Nora has become much more expressionate in the past month. She has a beautiful smile that she graces us with every time we go to pick her up from a nap, during diaper changes and during our play time after feedings. I am also pleased to announce that she has developed a much calmer and more tolerable cry. She doesn’t freak out and sound like a bird at the first sign of discomfort—instead actually this cry is quite pitiful and sweet. Along with her cry, she has mastered the “boo-boo lip”. I have tried to no end to get this funny face on camera, but don’t yet have it.

Nora’s favorite thing to do these days is stand. She immediately lights up when we hold her upright. Because of this too, she doesn’t like laying down much. Play gyms only keep her interested for a few minutes, tummy time mats just plain make her mad and the swing is my best friend…it’s the only way I can keep her happy sometimes without holding her. Such a busy body already!

Today while I was out I bought the babies some new books. One is of colors with simple pictures so they won’t get too stimulated and then one of simple patterns. Nora and I looked at the pattern book tonight before bed and she was very interested in it-- especially the target pattern…just like her mommy, already a lover of Target!

Nora’s Likes Include:
-being swaddled
-her paci
-standing
-conversation time
-crib aquarium
-bath time
-walks outside (as long as the wind isn’t her face)
-her swing

Nora’s Dislikes Include:
-waiting on ANYTHING
-napping during the day in her crib
-the dreaded aspirator
-tummy time


~Holden Reece Burns~

Holden is growing like a weed. I am sure he is widening the gap between Nora and himself. It seems that overnight he grew out of all his NB and 0-3 mo clothes and is now fitting perfectly in his 3 mo. clothes. He is very solid and very heavy compared to his sister. I would guess he is around 12 lbs and gaining.

Holden also has bumped up the amount of food he is eating. Now instead of 3 oz, he is eating 4.5 to 5 oz at each feeding! He is also eating every 3-4 hours during the day with long stretches at night. I believe he could actually go much longer than he does between night feedings but because I keep Holden and Nora on the same schedule, we have to wake him up to eat whenever she eats.

Holden is such a loving little baby. His favorite thing to do is cuddle up on my chest and look up at me while I talk to him. We do that almost every morning after his first feeding for the day. He really is an easy baby and rarely has a bad day. Every morning when we go in to get him from his crib he has the biggest smile on his face. It’s a great way to start my day!

Holden really connects with people. He loves to watch faces, he coos when being talked to and has lots of expressions in reaction to what you are doing and saying. From what I hear is a “hit” in the nursery at church with all the workers. Everyone loves to hold him because he is so sweet.

He has however, started to really hate his car seat, which is quite annoying to me. It makes running errands really difficult because I am currently using a snap n go stroller, which uses his carseat as the “seat”. I always have to have him in a carrier when we are out, which I honestly don’t mind—it just makes me feel like I am playing favorites between the two of them because I don’t get to ever carry Nora. It also can make car rides very frustrating. I am looking forward to the day I can reason with him about this whole car seat issue, or maybe just get him a different one that allows him to look around at things more. I did give in the other week and buy a single umbrella stroller in hopes that Holden would like it better and I could carry Nora in the carrier some. So far so good, we have taken it out on some walks this week and each time he seems perfectly happy and usually ends up asleep. This stroller is not very practical for most outings though so I am still hoping he will learn to tolerate the his carseat…we have quite a few more months to use it before switching to a front-facing seat.

Holden’s Likes Include:
-being swaddled when sleeping
-taking walks
-riding in mommy’s carriers
-talking with people
-cuddling with mommy
-his paci
-kisses

Holden’s Dislikes Include:
-being alone
-the carseat
-tummy time
-loud noises

4 comments:

Mandy said...

Happy birthday babies. :)

NoPermanentAddy said...

That picture of Nora is ADORABLE. Really they are both too cute!! Glad to hear all is well in Hawaii!

Thumbs Up? Thumbs Down? said...

Nora is turning into such a hambone!! Holden a dreamboat!! Eyes for his Mommy!
Luv u guys!

organicmommy said...

Your babies are adorable. Don't beat yourself up about almost missing the day. It happens to the best of us!!!